2021 Spring Registration Guide
● Due date for submission of application form: Friday, February 26, 2021 at noon (12:00 p.m.)
● How to submit: Please send the application form and required documents (PDF file) to the email address below.
● Application form: Please download the format. → word, pdf
● Registration examination (document screening)： Early March 2021
Please read the Study guide carefully. Current or prospective doctoral students who request for a mid-term review in concurrent with the entrance examination, please complete "4. Request for mid-term review for transforming into the program" in the registration application form. The mid-term review will be held on the middle of March 2021.
Requirements for enrollment
In order to enroll in WISE-SSS program, it is necessary to meet the following two requirements.
1. Experience of participation in the SSS interdisciplinary matching workshop
Please participate in the SSS interdisciplinary matching workshop at least once.
＊You can find the information of the previous matching workshop from here..
2. Enroll in the cyber/physical off-campus project course
※ Due to the influence of the COVID-19, the registration requirements have been relaxed. Please refer to the “★ Internship Information” section below for details.
Take at least one credit from the courses related to the cyber/physical off-campus project designed by the program. (Please refer to Tables 1 and in the Study Guide). A credit from the internship subject of the student’s original course can be also used. If a student is unable to acquire the credit by the entrance exam date, please submit a certificate of internship completion provided by the company where the internship is conducted. For information about the internship program provided by Super Smart Society Consortium, please click here (internal link). If you had regular employment experience at a company or an institution, the applicants can use that certificate of employment to replace credit requirement for the cyber/physical off-campus project subjects in Table 1.
If you cannot carry out an internship due to the influence of the COVID-19, please submit the necessary documents together with the application form depending on the case.
【Case 1】 The internship is canceled or postponed
＜Documents to be submitted＞
(1)Documents showing that you planned to do an internship by March 31, 2021
(2)Documents showing that the internship was canceled or postponed due to the influence of the COVID-19
【Case 2】 You applied for an internship but were not accepted
＜Documents to be submitted＞
(1)Statement of reasons for not implementing the internship(A)（Form 3）Please download the format.
(2)Documents showing that you applied for an internship
【Case ３】 If you could't find a suitable internship
＜Documents to be submitted＞
(1)Statement of reasons for not implementing the internship(B)（Form 4）Please download the format.
Note: In all cases, the internship must be conducted as soon as the COVID-19 infection is subsided. However, this internshp cannot be included in the completion requirements.
Four Gates for Completion of the Course
To take the enrollment examination, one of the following requirements must be satisfied:
- A master student enrolled in the University who intends to continue the master course at the start of official study in this program.
- A master student or a doctoral student enrolled in the University who will start/continue the program at the doctoral course (limited).
To take this curriculum, students must register and pass the enrollment examination. This exam is organized in March for Spring enrollment and in September for Fall enrollment. In addition, the student’s academic supervisor must provide written consent to apply.
Students must complete the prerequisites before enrolling in this program. They must have completed at least six months of their master or doctoral programs and are required to take some courses of this program before enrolling. If students enroll during their doctoral program, the enrollment examination and mid-term examination can be conducted around the same time.
The selection test (enrollment exam) is evaluated based on the student’s motivation, research plan from master to doctoral course, and an essay on the relationship with a super smart society. Details and dates of the examination will be announced when available.
To pass the exam, the following must be satisfied before starting this program:
Acquired one or more credits from the cyber/physical off-campus project course group as specified or offered by the program (Table 1 in the Study Guide). The off-campus project credit can be obtained by taking an internship subject. If the acquisition of credits cannot be confirmed by the time of the exam, a project completion certificate from the organization where the off-campus project (internship) was conducted can be substituted.
※ Due to the influence of the COVID-19, the registration requirements have been loosened. Please refer to the “★ Internship Information” section above for details.
Participation in the Interdisciplinary Matching Workshop (Table 3-2 in the Study Guide) organized by the program.
- To participate in the doctoral course of the program, it is necessary to pass the mid-term examination. Details and dates of the examination will be announced when available.The mid-term examination is based on the student’s master thesis, summary/achievement list, a doctoral program research plan, and an essay on the contributions to a super smart society. To pass the mid-term examination, the following requirements must be satisfied:
- Complete the master’s program or pass the completion exam.
- Earn at least one credit from the artificial intelligence basic subjects group assigned by the program (Table 2-1 in the Study Guide). The basic course of artificial intelligence designated by this program is a class to learn basic concepts of artificial intelligence (data analysis, machine learning, etc.) or an advanced class based on elementary artificial intelligence knowledge. Acquisition of core academic ability for artificial intelligence may be obtained by acquiring credits from lectures other than those listed in this table.
- Earn at least one credit from the basic quantum science subjects group assigned by the program (Table 2-2 in the Study Guide). The basic course of quantum mechanics designated by this program is a class to learn basic concepts of quantum mechanics (wave function, uncertainty, etc.), or an advanced class based on elementary quantum mechanics knowledge. Core academic ability for quantum science may be obtained by earning credits from lectures other than those listed in this table.
- To qualify for completion of this curriculum, students must complete their original doctoral course as well as satisfy the following qualification items:
- Acquire at least 10 credits from the subjects offered or designated by the program shown here. In this curriculum, it is only necessary to obtain the specified number of credits from the prescribed subjects (400, 500 and 600) by the time of completion. Even if the students who study at the doctoral course earn (400 and 500) credits, they can be included in the credit requirements for completing the curriculum.
- Participate in the various events held by the program (Table 3-2 in the Study Guide).
- Pass the completion examination conducted by the program, which includes an oral presentation on the outline of the doctoral dissertation and activities in the WISE program. The committee will judge if the student possesses the ability to be a knowledgeable professional with fundamental academic abilities, creativity, holistic view, problem-solving skills, and leadership skills. Details and dates of completion examination will be announced when available. Please shown refer to Table 3-1 in the Study Guide.
４． Doctoral Degree Examination
- Doctoral dissertations are subject to the guidelines of the original academic department in a professional perspective manner. If all the above requirements are met, students are granted a degree diploma with the completion certification of the program. The type of degree complies with the students’ original course selection.